Nov 21, 2017
|West Bank Barrier (Separating Wall) (Photo credit: Wikipedia)|
|Map showing the West Bank and Gaza Strip in relation to central Israel (situation of 2007) (Photo credit: Wikipedia)|
This week, while so many of us head home to be with our families for Thanksgiving, the residents of the Palestinian village of Jabal al Baba are wondering how long their homes can remain standing.
Last Thursday, the West Bank Bedouin community received evacuation notices from Israeli authorities, ordering them to leave the village within the next eight days, after which their homes would be demolished.
Jabal al Baba, located in the important E-1 area between Jerusalem and the major settlement of Ma’aleh Adumim, is just one of many communities throughout the West Bank facing this type of threat. The development of E-1 has been a major goal of the settlement movement, which seeks to pave the way for eventual Israeli annexation of parts of the West Bank, and with it to undermine the prospects for the creation of a Palestinian state alongside Israel.
J Street U is leading our new Stop Demolitions, Build Peace campaign to defend the two-state solution and stand with the Palestinians at risk of losing their homes and communities. By opposing these demolitions, we also stand for Israel’s future as a democratic homeland for the Jewish people.
Each of our regions around the country has partnered with a particular village under threat. For myself and my fellow students in the Northwest, our partner community is Jabal al Baba.
As many of us prepare to leave campus for the holiday, we’re thinking about how the shelter and safety of home must be a fundamental right, not a privilege -- a right that Palestinians in the West Bank share.
To help Jabal al Baba and other villages like them protect their homes, we’re raising funds to help the residents battle for their rights in court. We’ll contribute every cent you give to one of the incredible organizations leading the legal defense against these evacuations and demolitions.
Go here to contribute to the legal defense of vulnerable Palestinian communities like Jabal al Baba.
Whatever happens in Jabal al Baba over the next week, its residents will continue to face a struggle to defend their rights and preserve their homes.
With these contributions, we can send a clear message that as pro-Israel, pro-peace Americans, we know that standing with these communities and defending the two-state solution is the right thing to do -- and vital for the future of Israelis and Palestinians alike.
This Thanksgiving, let’s show that we’re truly thankful for the comforts of home and community -- by standing with those for whom those comforts are regularly at risk.
J Street U Vice President for the Northwest Region
J Street U Vice President for the Northwest Region
copied from J Street
Arab Film Festival in San Diego--had a chance to see the movie 1948 Creation and Catastrophe. It is not only an interesting documentary but it is also easier to understand when it comes to the issues facing Israel and Palestine and the tensions today than most historical films.
- Huge police presence for meeting between Theresa May and Benjamin Netanyahu
- Palestinian PM urges U.S. to pressure Israel over settlements
- Palestine flag to fly at UN headquarters after majority vote 119 of 193 UN member states gathered at general assembly vote yes to resolution
- Finding Inspiration from Green Olive Tours--I want to go to Israel and Palestine
- Israelis And Palestinians Set Aside Their Differences To Save Animals In Need: The anguspost.com on @theronniere
- J Street's Jeremy Ben-Ami Talks the Danger of The Republican Platform and His Quest for Israeli-Palestinian Peace
- Zack Beauchamp from Vox Tells Us 11 crucial facts to understand the Israel-Gaza crisis
- Roger Waters Talks Palestinian Freedom and Asks Dionne Warwick to Share His Cause
- 1948: Creation and Catastrophe Answering Questions at The San Diego Arab Film Festival
- Bike Palestine: Seriously, I Really Want to Go On This Tour
Nov 20, 2017
- Bernie and Sid: Enter the Rude and Crude--WABC Radio New York City
- Joan Hamburg's Ritz Cracker Stuffing
- Noam Laden: Big Show--Big City WABC New York Radio.
- I Just Love Listening to Joan Hamburg On The Radio......
- Listening to Joan Hamburg.........
- Joan Hamburg's Saturday Radio Show
- General Wesley Clark: Seal Team 6 Should Not Be Cashing In......
- Joan Hamburg: The Best New Radio Show--WABC 77 Ne...
- Joan Hamburg on 77 WABC News/Talk Radio New York City
- Joan Hamburg: The Best New Radio Show--WABC 77 New York
Nov 19, 2017
- America's Glut of Third-Wave Coffee Shops Is Losing to the Big Chains
- McDonald's 'mirror of Starbucks' is creating a nightmare for franchisees (MCD)
- Huge Coyotes in San Diego: Strolling the Streets of South Park
- from Jalopnik: That Zero Hedge Article On Unsold Cars Is Bullshit
- from What's Up Wichita: Hey, There's Not Any Place to Buy Groceries
- Twilight In The Park Summer Concert Series: Balboa Park Success Story
- South Park San Diego: The Coyotes Go to the Dog Park Too
- The Perils of Renting: Read it and Weep--Pit Bull City
- Pit Bulls at The Dog Park: It's a Loaded Gun Sich
- Bill O'Reilly: Botox--Eyebrows Check It Out
Nov 8, 2017
Dapper in his straw hat as a young man in San Diego.......
He married the girl of his dreams, Miss Bessie Ida Arnim from Orange, Ca.
Bessie worked at the Boston Store in San Diego with her friend Hannah Varley.
Richard Varley and his brother Bill loved just spending time together.
Their father, Lazarus Varley was born in Burnley, England.
His mother was Mary Jane Byron.
Richard Varley lived in Fall River Mass when he was a child and then the family ended up moving to San Diego when he was a young man.
When Richard Byron Varley was a kid he used to make deliveries to Lizzie Borden.
He always loved dogs, particularly bull dogs.
Happy Birthday to a wonderful person/
Richard Varley and Bill Varley were one of the first people in San Diego to drive automobiles.
- The Strange and Cut Throat World of Talk Radio........
- Attention TCM Fans: The Decline of Musicals in American Cinema--What Happened
- What's a $4,000 Suit Worth?
- Maybe The GOP Establishment Should Have Embraced John Kasich Sooner: Jonathan Cohn and Huff Po on the ronnie re
- Spotlight on Lynda Martin: Looking for Lynda as Part of Merrill's KOGO 600 Radio Morning Drive
- donald trump: a very scary figure..........
- Strombo in Montreal right now, George is cool, trendy , relaxed, charming and friendly .
- What, Bacon in Israel.....I'm Going there Right Now
- Grand jury decision in Ferguson illustrates the legal and social barriers to prosecuting officers